- Maintain the station in a safe and clean working condition.
- Maintain all manuals, certificates, decals, maintenance records and other documents as prescribed by Vehicle Standards and Inspection.
- Post and maintain all signs and certificates, as prescribed by Vehicle Standards and Inspection.
- Ensure good workmanship practices.
- Ensure that all replacement parts conform to standards.
- Ensure that the shop equipment and tools required are in safe working condition and accessible to the technician.
- Ensure that the customer has the vehicle in a clean condition that visual inspection of frame, body and all safety components can be carried out. Cleaning time, if required, is not included in the time allowed for inspection.
- If application is for body integrity, ensure that the customer has all body welds and repairs exposed and not covered with inhibitors or sealants.
- If application is for body integrity, ensure the vehicle file for each vehicle inspected is complete as per the instructions in the manual.
- Carry out at least 10 inspections and certifications a year.
- During business hours must allow any person authorized by the administrator of Vehicle Standards and Inspection to examine its facilities, records, documents and inspected vehicles pertaining to the vehicle safety inspection program.
- If a public station, bill the customer for the inspection the lesser of:
- Special price.
- Charge-out rate by the actual time of inspection.
- Charge-out rate by the actual time of inspection for a body integrity inspection.
- Charge-out rate by 1 hour for a taxi cab.
- Charge-out rate by 1 hour for a vehicle converted to LPG or CNG.
- Charge-out rate by 1.5 hours for light vehicles.
- Charge-out rate by 2 hours for bus, school bus, highway coach, mid-size truck, heavy truck or power unit.
- Charge-out rate by 1 hour for trailer or semi-trailer, plus charge-out rate by 0.5 hour for each axle over 2.
- If a self-certified station:
- Ensure that all applicable vehicles have valid inspection certificates and are maintained to standards outlined in the inspection manual.
- Unless specifically approved by Vehicle Standards and Inspection and stated on the station status report, issue safety inspection certificates only to vehicles registered to or owned by your station.
- If involved in the sale of a vehicle applicable to the inspection program, that vehicle must be subjected to a safety inspection unless sold for salvage. All safety standards must be met and an inspection certificate must be issued and decal applied to the vehicle.
- Re-inspect any rejected items at no charge (1 re-inspection only) if the customer brings the vehicle back within 30 days of the original inspection.
Note: This does not apply for body integrity inspections.
- An additional charge is permitted if components are required to be removed to re-inspect rejected items. Inspection stations are permitted to charge 0.5 hour of labour for a 2nd alignment check.
- A body integrity inspection must be completed within 120 days of the original inspection.
Note: This applies for body integrity inspections only.
• • •
Vehicle Standards and Inspection
1-800-667-8015 ext. 6188
1-800-667-8015 ext. 6188