- In 2013 in Saskatchewan, there were 1,506 casualty collisions where driver inattention or distraction was listed as a contributing factor.
- These collisions resulted in 32 fatalities and 2,002 injuries.
- Driver inattention and distraction was a major contributing factor in 27.9% of casualty collisions.
For detailed statistics on the causal factors in traffic collisions in Saskatchewan, review Section 3 - Major Contributing Factors (pdf, 1.8 mb) of our Traffic Accident Information System (TAIS) report.
- Statistics show that seatbelts can decrease the chances of sustaining a serious injury in a traffic crash by as much as 50%.
- 27 unbelted vehicle occupants were killed in 2013 in Saskatchewan, which equals 23.5% of vehicle occupants killed in automobile crashes.
- Seatbelts were not used by 56 of the 309 people seriously injured in 2013.
- 33 people were killed in single vehicle rollovers in 2013. 48% of them were not wearing a seatbelt.
- In 2013, drivers aged 15 to 18 represented 5.4% of the licensed drivers and accounted for 7.7% of drivers involved in collisions.
- For the overall population, there are 61 collisions per 1,000 licensed drivers. This number increases to 87 collisions per 1,000 licensed drivers between 15 to 18 years of age.
- In 2013, drivers 65 and older represented 16.6% of the licensed drivers in Saskatchewan and they accounted for 7.5% of drivers in collisions.
For detailed statistics on older drivers in Saskatchewan, review Section 5 - Driver Factors (pdf, 198 kb) of our Traffic Accident Information System (TAIS) report.
- There were 244 traffic collisions involving a motorcycle, resulting in 203 injuries and 6 deaths in 2013 in Saskatchewan.
- More than 80,000 children ride school buses every day in Saskatchewan.
- In 2013, there were 18 casualty collisions involving school buses, resulting in 37 injuries. Of the injuries, 10 were to school bus occupants, 26 were to occupants of other vehicles and one was a pedestrian.
- In 2013, 149 cyclists were injured and 2 were killed as a result of a traffic collision.
Child car seats
- Half of all kids in Saskatchewan aged 8 and under aren’t properly belted when they’re in a vehicle.
- In 2013, there were 91 children 6 years of age or younger injured and 3 killed while riding in a vehicle.
- 7 of those children were not restrained or were restrained improperly. In addition, 29 of those children were wearing a seatbelt that may have been inappropriate for them.
1-800-667-8015 ext. 6042