Weights vary from car seat to car seat. Your child car seat manufacturer's instructions will advise you if the seat is suitable for your child as well as explain which equipment is required.
Guidelines to follow
- seat faces forward
- seat secured by locking seat belt or Universal Anchorage System
- seat top secured by tether strap
- locking clip if required
- harness straps snug - 1 finger slides tightly between strap and child's collarbone
- chest clip at level of child's underarm
- harness strap at or above child's shoulders
- head and neck protected by child car seat or vehicle head restraint (headrest)
Car seat installation can be complicated. Attempting to do it yourself can teach you a lot. Once you've installed your car seat you can have it checked by a trained technician to see if you've done it properly. You can visit a scheduled car seat clinic in your area or locate a car seat technician to book an appointment.
1-800-667-8015 ext. 6042