Our Safe Driver Recognition (SDR) program uses a Safety Rating Scale, based on points, to determine your safety rating. Your safety rating is based on your driving record. View information on the SDR program.
If you have a good driving record and a positive safety rating, then you are in the Safety Zone and eligible for a financial discount on your basic vehicle insurance.
Qualifying for a discount
You may qualify for a financial discount if you:
- own or lease a light vehicle registered in Class LV, PV or F. The discount applies to every eligible vehicle you insure
- co-own a light vehicle registered in Class LV, PV or F. The discount for co-owners is based on the average safety rating of all co-owners
Even if you don't own or lease a vehicle, a positive rating in the Safety Zone is still beneficial to you. It protects you from financial penalties if you're involved in future incidents.
3 discount zones
Good Drivers Zone (+1 to +10)
If you’re in the Good Drivers Zone, you have earned enough safety rating points to receive a discount on your basic vehicle insurance. For each year you drive incident-free, you earn a safety rating point that gives you 2% off your basic vehicle insurance.
Great Drivers Zone (+11 to +20)
If you’re in the Great Drivers Zone, you have earned enough safety rating points to receive a 20% discount on your basic vehicle insurance, plus you have earned a cushion to shield you from losing some or all of your discount if you cause a collision or get traffic convictions in the future.
Safest Drivers Zone (+21 to +25)
If you’re in the Safest Drivers Zone, you have driven incident-free for more than 20 years. You earn an extra 1% discount for each additional year you drive incident-free up to a maximum discount of 25%.
How it works
- For every year since 1995 that you've driven without an incident, you earn a safety point.
- Each point in the Safety Zone gives you a discount off your vehicle plate insurance, to a maximum of 25%.
- You receive a financial penalty for an incident only if it causes you to lose enough points to move you to the Penalty Zone on the scale. As long as you remain in the Safety Zone, you'll continue to qualify for a discount.
In order to receive a discount on your motorcycle plates, the person registering the motorcycle must have a valid M Endorsement. Drivers who enter the Motorcycle Graduated Driver Licensing (MGDL) program after Dec. 31, 2014 will not be eligible for a discount on their motorcycle until they enter the Novice 2 stage of MGDL and take an SGI-approved motorcycle training course or get their full M Endorsement.
Note: Customers who have acquired a 6 Endorsement or M Endorsement Novice 1 or 2 prior to Jan. 1, 2015 will continue to be eligible for a Safe Driver Recognition (SDR) discount on any registered motorcycle, unless they are required to re-enter the MGDL program.