This official Saskatchewan licence plate to honour our veterans is a single plate that goes on the rear of the vehicle.
Note: If you have a veteran plate on the rear of your vehicle, you can't display a different plate on the front of your vehicle, including a personalized plate.
While SGI doesn't charge you for your veteran plate, there is a $5 application fee and regular registration fees and insurance premiums do still apply.
Veteran eligibility is determined by the Saskatchewan Command of the Royal Canadian Legion. Your status as a veteran must be approved before an Application for Veteran Plate form (pdf, 149 kb) can be made.
Family of veterans is not eligible, and veteran plates can't be transferred to others. In addition, the veteran must be a Saskatchewan resident to qualify.
You're considered a veteran if 1 of the following situations applies to you:
1. You served honourably in WWI, WWII or in Korea during the Korean War, either:
- as a member of the Canadian Forces
- as a member of an Allied Force
- in the Merchant Navy or Ferry Command
2. You served honourably for a minimum of 3 full-time paid years of service in the Canadian Regular Forces or have 1,095 paid days of Reserve Force Service.
3. You served honourably in NATO operations or as a member of a United Nations peacekeeping force, either:
- the Canadian Forces and Reserve Force
- the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- another Canadian Police force
- an Allied force
Veteran plates can only be used on light vehicles registered or jointly registered with a spouse in an approved veteran's name.
|Eligible vehicles||Ineligible vehicles|
|Cars||Heavy commercial vehicles|
|Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs)||Heavy farm vehicles|
|Light trucks and vans||Trailers - Company-owned vehicles or vehicles owned by an organization, even when driven exclusively by a veteran.|
Personalize your Veteran plate
Choose from the following options:
- Request a duplicate veteran plate to match your rear veteran plate - $20.
- Transfer an existing personalized licence plate slogan from your current Saskatchewan licence plate to your new veteran plate, as long as it's 5 characters or less - $20 for a large plate and $4 or less for a small plate.
- Request a new personalized slogan for your veteran plate - $78.75 ($75 + GST).
- Visit the Personalized Plate Slogan search to check your slogan and complete the order process there.
Note: If you've already been approved for a veteran plate by the Saskatchewan Command of the Royal Canadian Legion, you can submit your personalized licence plate request directly to SGI.
Souvenir Veteran plates
If you're a qualifying veteran who doesn't own a vehicle but who wishes to obtain a veteran plate for display purposes, you can still apply for a veteran plate.
You will receive a regular series veteran plate, even if you don't plan to validate it. A non-validated souvenir veteran plate cannot be displayed on the rear or front of a vehicle.
Souvenir veteran plates are not available to the general public or to family members of veterans.