When your vehicle is inspected, it will be inspected to a minimum safety standard as required by law. Here's some important information about the inspection process:
- The cost of a motorcycle inspection is 1 times the shop's hourly labour rate, plus GST. Inspections are PST exempt. The inspection does not include repairs to the vehicle. For details, review the Motorcycle Inspection Manual (pdf, 249 kb).
- The cost of a light vehicle inspection is 1.5 hours times the shop's hourly labour rate, plus GST. Inspections are PST exempt. The inspection does not include repairs to the vehicle.
- An inspection station is not permitted to proceed with the repair of any deficiencies identified during inspection without your express consent.
- If a problem is identified and your vehicle does not pass the initial inspection, you may choose to have the repairs completed at any location or garage of your choice. If you choose to make outside arrangements to have deficiencies repaired, you have 30 days1 to return to the inspection station and have the vehicle reinspected.
- There is no charge for the first reinspection if the inspection of the repaired item does not require the removal of components or an alignment check. Subsequent reinspections of rejected items may result in a nominal charge.
Note: Failure to return within 30 days may result in the vehicle undergoing another full inspection and the full fee may be applied.
- An initial 4-wheel alignment measurement is included in the charge and time allotted for an inspection (does not include any adjustment of your vehicle's wheel alignment). This is to assist in the detection of steering and structural defects and damage. An inspection facility is not permitted to make (or charge you for) adjustments to your vehicle’s wheel alignment without your express consent.
- If the inspection indicates a problem with your vehicle's wheel alignment and an adjustment is required, you may chose to have the wheel alignment adjustment completed at any location or garage of your choice.
Note: If you choose to have a wheel alignment performed by another repair facility, a second alignment check will have to be completed at the original inspection facility during the reinspection (an inspection station is not permitted to accept a print out completed at another facility as proof of repair). Inspection stations are permitted to charge 1/2 labour for a second alignment check.
- Structural components that provide protection for the vehicle's occupants will be inspected to ensure corrosion or damage to these areas is repaired to the original manufacturers' or auto body repair industry standards. Surface rust is not considered a defect for the inspection process.
- The engine, transmission, air conditioning and other non-safety-related components will not be inspected.
- An inspection station is required to identify all of the items that do not pass during inspection. For any item that fails inspection, the inspection station must, upon request from the vehicle owner, explain any deficiencies by referencing the inspection manual standard. You are entitled to a photocopy of the Failed inspection certificate listing all of the defects and a copy of the 4-wheel alignment check print-out for your reference.
We're here to help! If you have any questions, concerns or feedback related to your inspection, please let us know.
775-6188 in Regina
1-800-667-8015, ext. 6188