Vehicle registration certificates are now printed on plain white paper.
Read the news release for all the details.
When you purchase licence plates, you pay a flat registration fee and receive a basic package of insurance which includes:
- coverage for damage to your own vehicle subject to a deductible
- coverage for personal injury as a result of a vehicle crash with personal auto injury insurance
- liability insurance for damage your vehicle may cause to the vehicle or property of others or injuries it may cause to other people
To register your vehicle, visit 1 of our motor licence issuers located across the province.
Extended insurance coverage
You can also buy additional insurance for your vehicle, known as a package policy or auto extension insurance. Just ask your insurance broker.
Having additional insurance can give you:
- increased protection when travelling outside Saskatchewan
- a lower deductible
- no deductible for wildlife collisions, fire and theft
- coverage to replace your brand-new vehicle
If you have an automobile extension policy, it is important to notify your insurance broker if you change your licence plate number.
Driving a registered, plated vehicle is mandatory in Saskatchewan. Driving an unregistered vehicle may result in a $580 fine and a Driver Improvement Program demerit point. If you're involved in a collision while driving an unregistered vehicle there's no insurance coverage for your vehicle. If you're caught driving an unregistered vehicle a 2nd time your vehicle will be impounded.
You are required to have a valid driver's licence to operate a vehicle in Saskatchewan. Drive without one and you may get a $150 fine and a Driver Improvement Program demerit point. If you're caught driving without a valid driver's licence a 2nd time your vehicle will be impounded.
Updating your personal information
Changing your address on your driver's licence and vehicle registration is simple:
- visit MySGI and edit your personal information
- visit a motor licence issuer near you
- use ExpressAddress1, a free online service that lets you:
- update your address for your telephone, electricity, natural gas, water bill and more and
- connect, transfer or disconnect residential services.
Note: If you move, please notify us within 15 days of moving to your new address so we don't send any correspondence to your old address.