Eligible light vehicles include:
- sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
- trucks and vans 1 ton or less
PST does apply to the purchase of the following vehicles:
- new vehicles purchased in Saskatchewan
- heavy vehicles, buses, motorcycles, mopeds, motor homes, trailers and snowmobiles
- vehicles purchased or brought in from outside Saskatchewan including those received as a gift (other than settlers' effects)
- vehicles imported by vehicle dealers for sale in Saskatchewan
- previously leased vehicles where PST has not been paid in full
- vehicles purchased from a status Indian, an Indian band or the federal government as they are exempt from PST
If for some reason the PST was not paid at the time you purchased a vehicle listed above, SGI is required to collect it when your vehicle is registered.
SGI collects PST on behalf of Saskatchewan Finance, who administers the PST program. For more information, visit the Ministry of Finance website or call 1-800-667-6102.
You can find out if the Saskatchewan PST is payable on a particular vehicle by using SGI's free online Saskatchewan VIN search.