The Ignition Interlock Program is mandatory for all individuals convicted of an impaired driving offence (over .08, impaired or refusal) and experienced drivers who receive a third immediate roadside licence suspension within 5 years.
Exemption eligibility and criteria
To apply for an exemption from the mandatory ignition interlock program, you must meet the following criteria:
- it is your 1st impaired driving conviction; and
- your blood alcohol content reading at the time of the offence was less than .16 (160 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitre of blood).
If the above criteria are met, applicants can apply for an exemption for the one of following reasons:
1. Geographic location
- The ignition interlock provider is unable to access your vehicle from any remote service location; or
- The applicant lives more than 500 km from a service location.
- Applicants must provide documentation proving their address.
2. Medical reason
- The applicant is medically unable to use an ignition interlock device.
- Applicants must provide written medical evidence signed by a physician that supports their inability to use an ignition interlock device.
3. Driver does not own or have access to a vehicle
- Applicants must provide proof that they do not own or have access to a vehicle to have the ignition interlock device installed in, including written evidence from friends or family indicating the reason why they will not allow the device to be installed.
4. Not possible to install the device in a vehicle
- Due to mechanical reasons or vehicle wiring, the ignition interlock service provider is physically unable to install an ignition interlock device in the applicant's vehicle.
- Applicants must provide information on their vehicle, including the year, make, model and plate number.
Conditions of an exemption
If an exemption is granted, your driver's licence suspension will be extended for an additional 6 months, in lieu of the ignition interlock requirement, and you will not be able to drive a vehicle for the entire length of your suspension (you are not eligible for a restricted driver's licence).
How to apply for an exemption
Applicants must first purchase a $175 exemption receipt from any SGI motor licence issuer, and then submit a copy of the receipt with the required supporting documentation to SGI Driver Programs for review. A decision will be made based on the information provided and a letter is sent to the applicant informing them of the review's outcome.
2260 11th Avenue
Regina, SK S4P 2N7
Appealing SGI's decision
You have the option to appeal SGI's decision to the Highway Traffic Board (HTB).
You must purchase a $175 Ignition Interlock Exemption Appeal Receipt from any SGI motor licence issuer. The receipt is non-refundable.
Once you purchase your receipt, submit a letter and a copy of the receipt to the HTB with the following information:
- Detailed explanation as to why you're appealing SGI's decision and why you feel you meet the ignition interlock exemption criteria.
- Daytime phone number and email address so the HTB can contact you to set up the hearing.
Once the HTB has received your receipt and letter, they will contact you to set up a hearing date and time.
2260 - 11th Ave.
Regina, SK S4P 2N7