Licence Class 5 - minimum age: 161
Permits the licence holder to operate
- Class 5 vehicles - that is, cars, vans2, two-axle trucks, two-axle vehicles having a trailer(s) or vehicle(s) in tow where the gross weight of the towed unit(s) does not exceed 4,600 kg, buses when not transporting passengers, three-axle motorhomes, taxis and ambulances when not used for hire
- School buses when not carrying more than 15 students
- Law enforcement vehicles when being used for law enforcement purposes
- Three-wheeled vehicles (e.g., has a steering wheel, automotive seating and floor controls - not a three-wheeled motorcycle)
- Two-axle power units, when not towing a semi trailer
- Two-axle farm trucks towing vehicles which have a gross weight that exceeds 4,600 kg
- Farm trucks with more than two axles
- Vehicles registered in Class PB or PC when used exclusively to transport, for hire, not more than 24 passengers with a disability and any attendants to these passengers
- Class 1, 2, 3 or 4 vehicles as a learner with appropriate Endorsement 1, 2, 3 or 4 (minimum age 18 and not a novice driver)
Does not permit the licence holder to operate
- Vehicles with air brakes3, motorcycles without an appropriate endorsement(s)
ROAD TEST - Must hold a Class 7 licence for nine months
Must take a road test in a Class 5 vehicle
KNOWLEDGE TESTS - Class 5 knowledge tests include: Basic and Sign
- Persons under age 18 require parental consent to obtain driving privileges. Once consent has been granted it cannot be withdrawn.
- Vans with a seating capacity of 15 or less while carrying passengers. If transporting more than 12 passengers, the driver must be at least 18 years of age and not a novice driver.
- Persons with Class 3 or 5 vehicles (registered farm only) with air brakes are not required to have the air brake endorsement.