- Whenever possible, park a semi trailer on a level area in such a way that the units can be uncoupled in a straight line.
- Apply the parking brake and close supply valve.
- Block wheels of trailer to prevent it from rolling.
- Wind down landing gear.
- Release fifth-wheel locking handle.
- Disconnect light cord and air hoses.
- Pull forward slowly until tractor is clear of semi trailer.
- Apply tractor brakes1.
If the tractor does not have a hand valve, and the trailer has service brakes only, the only change from the above procedure is, when coupling, supply the trailer with air, then close the supply valve at the beginning of step 6.Previous page Next page
- If the trailer is equipped with service brakes only, the hoses should remain in place and the hand valve should be used to apply trailer brakes until the tractor is clear from trailer. The lines should be disconnected after the tractor park brakes and the supply valve has been closed at the end of step 8.