In a roundabout, the vehicle on the right must yield to the vehicle on the left.
In the diagram, traffic indicated by red arrows in yellow lanes must yield to traffic indicated by white arrows in green lanes. Traffic entering the roundabout must yield to traffic in the roundabout.
In this diagram:
- B and C must yield to A.
- E must yield to D while F and D proceed.
- H must yield to G.
When you are leaving the roundabout use your right-turn signal to warn other drivers of your intention to exit.
It is recommended that for safety, entry into the right lane be used mainly when intending to exit at the first available exit point. If you are intending to proceed beyond the second exit, it is recommended that you drive in the left lane.
Watch Now: Roundabouts
Diverging Diamond Interchange
A diverging diamond interchange is new to Saskatchewan, but is gaining popularity across North America. This type of interchange is designed to improve safety and reduce delays by maintaining the flow of traffic. The key feature of this type of interchange is that traffic on the overpass crosses over to the opposite side of the road at one traffic-signal controlled ramp and then returns to the proper side at the next traffic-signal controlled ramp. The crossover allows higher volume left-turn traffic to proceed with little disruption or interruption.
When you encounter this type of intersection:
- Watch for lane designation signs as well as pavement markings to guide you into the correct lane. Reference the lane selection page.
- Traffic going straight - watch for lane designation signs and ensure you are in the correct lane to proceed straight. After the traffic lights, don't panic; you will be crossing onto the opposite side of the road for a short distance before crossing back onto the proper side at the next traffic lights.
- Traffic turning left - watch for lane designation signs and ensure you are in the correct lane to turn left. After the traffic lights, don't panic; you will be crossing onto the opposite side of the road for a short distance before making your left turn.
- Traffic turning right - normal right hand turn procedures apply, so watch for lane designation signs and ensure you are in the correct lane to turn right.
Traffic going straight
Watch Now: Diverging diamond - Going straight
Traffic turning left
Watch now: Diverging diamond - Turning Left
Traffic turning right