The procedure for changing lanes:
- Determine the need to change lanes well in advance. Make sure you know the conditions of your gate.
- Signal your intention to change lanes.
- Check your mirrors to see that the gate is open and that no one else is moving into it.
- Shoulder check to look for vehicles or obstructions in your blind spot.
- Look where you want the vehicle to go and steer there.
- Accelerate gently and steer the vehicle to the position where you are looking.
- When you are almost completely in the new lane, look ahead to a point where you propose to drive and your steering will adjust.
- Cancel signal. Check the condition of your new gates. Adjust your speed.
When moving through more than a single lane, make the change as one continual action. Only one signal is required, perform a shoulder check before moving your vehicle into each lane.