If you hold a valid driver's licence in Class 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, you can apply for a school bus endorsement provided you:
- are at least 18 years of age and not a novice driver
- submit a satisfactory medical
To obtain an endorsement S you must:
- pass the required supplementary written, vision and sign tests
- complete a circle-check vehicle inspection and road test in the appropriate size of school bus
- unrestricted - at least 36 student passengers
- restricted - fewer than 36 student passengers
Note: Student passengers mean 3 passengers to a seat on a school bus.
If you take a road test in a school bus equipped with an automatic transmission, you will be restricted to driving school buses with automatic transmissions.
Effective May 30, 2014, every school bus operator is required to stop at all railway crossings (except those equipped with automatic signals1) open the front door of the bus and look in both directions.
- move the bus as far to the right as is practical
- activate the hazard warning lamps, not less than 100 m from the crossing on a road with a speed limit of more than 50 km/h or 25 m on a road with a speed limit of 50 km/h or less
- stop the bus not less than 4 m and not more than 10 m from the railroad crossing
- open the front (service) door of the bus and look in both directions
- close the door and proceed across the tracks when it is safe to do so
- move back into the travelled portion of the highway when it is safe to do so and deactivate the hazard warning lamp
For additional information consult the Professional Driver's Handbook.
You can find a driver exam office near you to book an appointment or if you have any questions, contact our exam booking office at 1-844-TLK-2SGI (1-844-855-2744).