A 6 Endorsement on a Class 1 to 5 licence gives you authority to operate a motorcycle for learning purposes only, provided you:
- pass the rules of the road, signs and motorcycle written knowledge tests
- pass a basic ability road test OR complete SGI-approved motorcycle training
- meet minimum medical and vision standards
- are at least 16 years of age, with written parental consent if under 18
Holders of the endorsement 6 are subject to the following restrictions:
- No passengers.
- No nighttime riding (1/2 hour before sunset to 1/2 hour after sunrise).
- May not tow a vehicle.
- May not consume any amount of alcohol or have any level of drug impairment, regardless of age, while operating a motorcycle (zero BAC or drug impairment).
- Must display a red Learner placard 'L'.
- Must wear protective gear.
Holders of a 6 Endorsement must wait 12 months before attempting their M Endorsement road test. The 6 Endorsement will be removed if an M Endorsement road test is not passed and an M Endorsement is not indicated on the holder's driver's licence within 2 years.
New for 2015: An "R" restriction (limiting the rider to motorcycles 400cc or less) will be assigned to riders in the MGDL program that use a motorcycle with a 400cc engine displacement or less during the Basic Ability Road Test (6 Endorsement/Learners) or during the Motorcycle Road Test (M Endorsement). The restriction expires when the rider completes the MGDL program (graduates from Novice 2) and becomes a fully experienced rider. The engine size restriction will be waived for those who successfully complete an approved motorcycle training course.
You can find a driver exam office near you to book an appointment or if you have any questions, contact our exam booking office at 1-844-TLK-2SGI (1-844-855-2744).