A Class 5 driver's licence permits you to operate:
- cars, vans and 2 axle vehicles having a trailer or vehicle in tow where the gross weight of the towed vehicle does not exceed 4,600 kg
- buses when not transporting passengers
- 3-axle motorhomes
- 3-wheeled vehicles (e.g., has a steering wheel, automotive seating and floor controls - not a three-wheeled motorcycle)
- taxis and ambulances when not used for hire
- 2-axle farm trucks towing any vehicle
- trucks with more than 2 axles registered in the farm vehicle class
- trucks with more than 2 axles registered in the farm class when towing vehicles where the weight of the towed vehicles does not exceed 4,600 kg
- vehicles registered in vehicle classes PB or PC when used exclusively for hire to transport no more than 24 passengers with a disability and any attendants to those passengers
To apply for a Class 5 driver's licence you must:
- be a minimum age of 16 with parental approval
- hold a Class 7 licence for at least 9 months
- complete a driver education course approved by the administrator
To obtain a Class 5 driver's licence you must take a road test in a Class 5 vehicle.
Note: 3-wheeled vehicles cannot be used for a road test.
Class 5 drivers, as long as they are not Novice 1 or Novice 2 drivers in the Graduated Driver's Licensing program, can operate vehicles in the following licence classes as a learner with the appropriate endorsements:
Class 1 - Power units and semi trailers, trucks towing trailers over 4,600 kg
Class 2 - Buses with a seating capacity exceeding 24 passengers
Class 3 - Trucks with more than 2 axles
Class 4 - Taxis, ambulances and buses with a seating capacity of 16 to 24 passengers
For additional information consult the Saskatchewan Driver's Handbook.
You can find a driver exam office near you to book an appointment or if you have any questions, contact our exam booking office at 1-844-TLK-2SGI (1-844-855-2744).