A Class 3 driver's licence permits you to operate:
- trucks with more than 2 axles (except those with farm plates)
- trucks with more than 2 axles that have a trailer or vehicle in tow, where the gross weight of the towed units do not exceed 4,600 kg
To apply for a Class 3 driver's licence you must:
- submit a satisfactory medical
- have a Class 5 or 4 driver's licence
- be a minimum age of 18 and not a novice driver
To obtain a Class 3 driver's licence you must take the oral or written knowledge tests for Class 3 vehicles and a road test in a Class 3 vehicle. A pre-trip inspection - known as a circle check - needs to be demonstrated at the time of the road test.
After obtaining your Class 3 driver's licence, you can also operate vehicles in the following licence classes:
Class 4 - Taxis, ambulances and buses with a seating capacity of 16 to 24 passengers
Class 5 - Cars, vans and 2-axle trucks
As a learner with the appropriate endorsements:
Class 1 - Power units and semi trailers, trucks towing trailers over 4,600 kg
Class 2 - Buses with a seating capacity exceeding 24 passengers
For additional information consult the Professional Driver's Handbook.
You can find a driver exam office near you to book an appointment or if you have any questions, contact our exam booking office at 1-844-TLK-2SGI (1-844-855-2744).