SGI ensures your vehicle is repaired using industry-accepted repair practices and quality replacement parts.
Repairs must be completed within 2 years from the date of loss. It's a good idea to complete repairs as soon as possible to avoid any deterioration or further damage to the vehicle especially those that may affect its safe operation. Damage to headlights, tail lights, tires, wheels, etc., should be repaired as soon as possible.
Damage not related to collision
SGI and the person determined to be at fault for the collision, are only responsible for the damage caused in that collision. You will be responsible to pay the repair shop for any previous damage that is unrelated to that collision.
If you are a GST registrant, such as a farmer or small business owner, you are also responsible for the GST applicable to your loss. Registrants can claim their GST back from the federal government.
Types of replacement parts
Your claims adjuster will indicate on your appraisal sheet the type of replacement parts that will be used in repairing your vehicle. This will be written next to the parts description as:
- quality recycled - if recycled parts are used
- quality replacement - if after-market parts are used
After-market, recycled and remanufactured parts
SGI will specify after-market, remanufactured or recycled parts on any vehicle model older than the current year, unless you carry replacement cost coverage under an SGI CANADA Auto Pak policy.
- After-market parts - new parts that meet the vehicle manufacturer's specifications, but are produced by someone other than the original equipment manufacturer
- The Certified Automotive Parts Association (CAPA) rigorously inspects after-market manufacturing facilities and randomly examines parts from the assembly line.
- A non-removable sticker identifies CAPA certified parts.
- If your vehicle model is older than 5 years, after-market body repair parts, trim and cosmetic items will be specified if recycled parts are not available.
- These lower cost parts, which are typically 20 to 50% less than OEM parts, make it possible to repair older, well-maintained vehicle that would otherwise be too expensive to fix. This keeps your claim costs lower and helps to maintain affordable insurance premiums as well as being environmentally friendly.
- Recycled parts - quality parts removed from vehicles in non-driveable condition and used as replacement parts. Many of these parts are supplied by SGI's own recycling operations
- If your vehicle model is older than the current year and requires body repair parts, trim or cosmetic items, recycled parts will be specified when available.
- Remanufactured parts - typically these are items such as radiators, alternators, etc., that have been rebuilt to meet or exceed manufacturers' specifications
Note: If you want OEM parts used to repair your vehicle, simply inform your vehicle repair shop and they will bill you directly for the difference in cost.
Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts
These parts are manufactured by, or under licence to, the vehicle manufacturer.
SGI chooses only parts that are built to the OEM specifications and equal to or greater than the OEM warranty. Only a vehicle model of the current year will use original equipment parts when repairing your vehicle.
If you have a vehicle model that is not the current year but you have replacement cost coverage with your SGI CANADA Auto Pak policy, then you will have your vehicle repaired with original parts.
If a part that requires replacement is not available from the OEM or an after-market supplier, SGI is responsible to pay you the following - whichever is less:
- last known list price of that part
- value of the part at the time of your incident
If you are dissatisfied with the selected part, you can continue the search for a replacement.
Your estimate may call for a recycled air bag. We only use air bags provided by SGI Salvage that haven't been deployed and are the same colour as the original part. These air bags have not been exposed to environmental elements that might affect the deployment accelerant.
A recycled air bag will continue to meet all safety requirements for air bag modules. Each time the ignition is turned on, your vehicle's air bag computer module does a diagnostic check of the air bag system and related components to ensure everything is working correctly.
Depreciation of parts
When a part requires replacement resulting from damage in a collision, SGI is responsible for the depreciated value of that part. Replacing a worn part, such as a tire, with a new part is known as betterment.
The difference between the depreciated value and the replacement cost is charged to the vehicle owner and shown on your appraisal sheet as betterment.
Betterment will not be charged when a recycled part is used.
Repair and replacement warranties
SGI has an agreement with the repair industry that specifies a minimum 1-year warranty on repairs. Some repair shops will exceed this warranty; so ask your body shop about their warranty.
All SGI recycled and after-market parts carry an equivalent warranty to the similar Original Equipment Manufacturer part.
Feel free to discuss any concerns you have about the repairs with your body shop. Speak to the manager and outline any deficiencies you have noted. Most problems can by easily resolved in this manner.
Should there be a problem that can't be resolved with the repair shop, contact your adjuster. Your adjuster will discuss any improper repairs with your body shop.