The IRP Carrier Information Manual (pdf, 424 kb) has been prepared as a guide to assist Saskatchewan based carriers to apply for Apportioned Vehicle Registration under IRP in the province of Saskatchewan.
Full Reciprocity Plan = IRP simplification
The full reciprocity plan will make IRP more equitable and more flexible for members:
- Operate in any IRP jurisdiction without making changes to the Cab Card.
- Cab Cards will list every jurisdiction.
- Fee will be assessed on the actual distance travelled in the previous year.
- Carriers will pay only for the jurisdictions in which they travel.
- Effective for fleets renewed on or after Jan. 1, 2015.
- Add Jurisdiction
- Fees over 100%
- Trip permits for IRP carriers
Full Reciprocity Plan FAQs
1. What is the effective date of the Full Reciprocity Plan (FRP)?
Jan. 1, 2015.
2. What if my renewal date is after Jan. 1, 2015?
Any registrant whose registration year begins on or after Jan. 1, 2015 would be subject to FPR provisions, including any supplemental applications such as adding new vehicles or transferring existing vehicles.
3. How will the fees be calculated?
The carrier will have all jurisdictions listed on their Cab Card and will be allowed to operate in all IRP jurisdictions. The carrier will only pay fees in the jurisdictions in which they travelled (declared distance) from the previous year.
4. How will fees be calculated if the carrier has no actual distance?
When a registrant’s fleet is considered new or the fleet did not accumulate any actual distance during the distance reporting period, fees will be calculated using the base jurisdiction’s average per vehicle distance chart.
5. How are early renewals to be handled for Jan. 1, 2015 renewals?
Any registrant whose registration begins on or after Jan. 1, 2015 would be subject to FRP provisions, regardless of when the renewal application was processed. Registrants whose registration year begins prior to Jan. 1, 2015 would be subject to the provisions of the current plan until they renew.
6. Are all existing IRP carriers going to be subject to the average per vehicle distance chart calculation for all member jurisdictions the first year under full reciprocity?
No. Existing carriers renewing their fleets for registrant year beginning on or after Jan. 1, 2015 will report actual distance accumulated during the distance reporting period.
7. What is the average per vehicle distance chart?
The average per vehicle distance chart is the average distance of each fleet in your base jurisdiction in the other member jurisdiction.
8. When is the average per vehicle distance chart updated?
The chart is updated by March 31 of each year.
9. What if I only have actual distance in my base jurisdiction? Do I pay 100% base jurisdictional fees?
10. What weight should be displayed on the cab card where there is no actual distance and no fee collected?
The GVW should be displayed on the cab card for every IRP jurisdiction. The base declared weight, plus the comparable weight for each member jurisdiction, should be reflected.
11. What if I need to increase my weight during the registration year?
Fees are only collected on that jurisdiction in which actual distance was accumulated. If no actual distance is reported, then no registration fees are due until the fleet accumulates distance in the jurisdiction. Note: There would be an administrative fee charged by the base jurisdiction.