- Always check night lighting on all trailers before starting on your route.
- Cargo carriers should be detailed when tarping and conducting routine checks, especially during inclement weather.
Your physical well-being
- Get plenty of rest to stay sharp and focused during your drive.
- Don't put yourself and others at risk with driver fatigue by recognizing its symptoms:
- difficulty maintaining speed
- missing road signs
- drifting out of lanes
- To combat driver fatigue practice the following:
- take breaks
- avoid use of cruise control to 'stay in control'
- respect your personal clock
- don't drive when you would normally sleep
- be ergonomically attentive
- Respect Mother Nature by getting off the road when road conditions warrant.
Permits and regulations
- When hauling over-dimensional loads check that you hold the necessary permits. Also, know your route, especially the dimensions of all bridges you'll encounter.
- When transporting dangerous goods be sure you hold valid training certificates and make sure identification placards are in place.
• • •
Comment on this page: