- The following trailers need to be registered when towed by a farm-plated vehicle:
- gooseneck trailers
- pintle and bumper-hitch trailers with a combined trailer and load weight of over 4,600 kg (10,000 lb)
- The following trailers do not need to be registered when towed by a farm-plated vehicle:
- pintle and bumper-hitch trailers with a combined trailer and load weight of 4,600 kg (10,000 lb) or less
Note: Boat trailers and camper trailers need to be registered in Class T at all times. They are not eligible for Class F plates.
To register your trailer, visit a motor licence issuer. The options for trailers registered in Class F include full registration (includes insurance coverage) and perpetual registration (no insurance coverage).
With full registration, you buy a licence plate that includes insurance coverage for your trailer and must be renewed at least once a year. The cost varies depending on the body style of the trailer.
With perpetual registration, you buy a licence plate that only provides registration for your trailer. It's a plate that's valid for as long as you own the trailer, with no renewal required. How it works:
- The cost is $32 and does not include insurance coverage.
- You can choose to insure your trailer separately through your insurance broker or leave it uninsured.
- Perpetual trailer plates are non-refundable. However, you can transfer your perpetual plate from 1 trailer to another for $20.
- If you wish to convert your current trailer registration to the perpetual option, the unused portion of your registration fees and insurance premiums will reduce the new perpetual registration fee.
- You can get certificate replacements or a licence plate replacement by visiting a motor licence issuer and paying a $15 administration fee.
Pintle and bumper hitch examples
Examples of pintle and bumper-hitch trailers with a combined trailer and load weight of over 4,600 kg (10,000 lb) include:
3-axle truck pulling a 4-axle wagon-style trailer
3-axle truck pulling tandem-axle pup trailer
1-ton pickup pulling bumper hitch stock trailer
Power-unit semi trailer pulling a wagon-style pup trailer
306-775-6900 in Regina