The 4,600 kg weight is arrived at by weighing the trailer or combination of trailers and its contents, not including the tow vehicle. In addition, it is the total weight of the trailer, not just the axle weight that is taken into consideration. There are 2 ways to determine the weight:
- Park the trailer on a platform scale with the truck disconnected.
- Pull the unit over a scale that weighs each axle. When the trailer has been unhooked, take the truck back to the scale, weigh each axle and subtract the weight of the truck from the weight of the whole unit.
For more information you can refer to the manufacturer's specification on your trailer or consult a trailer dealer.
Heavy trailer privileges
If you wish to tow trailers weighing over 4,600 kg, but don't wish to drive power unit semi trailers, buses or 3-axle trucks, you may obtain a heavy trailer endorsement on your licence, represented as a G in the endorsement field.
To obtain a heavy trailer endorsement you must:
- meet approved medical standards
- meet approved vision standards
- pass the basis Class 5 written test (Rules of the Road)
- pass the written sign test
- pass the heavy trailer written test
- conduct and pass a pre-trip inspection (circle check) of the vehicle prior to taking the road test
- pass a road test in a vehicle which meets the requirements for heavy trailer endorsement
Once these requirements have been completed, SGI will have a G endorsement added to your driver's licence and will issue you a Detail Authority card permitting you to tow trailers weighing over 4,600 kg.
Limitations of the heavy trailer endorsement
A heavy trailer endorsement limits the driver to operating 2-axle trucks - not including 2-axle power units - towing trailers in excess of 4,600 kg. The driver will have no privileges in Classes 2 to 4, unless their previous licence provided them, or for Class 1 power units and semi trailers.
In addition to the G endorsement on your licence, you will be issued a Detail Authority card upon successful completion of all written exams, the pre-trip and the road test.
This Detail Authority card must be carried with your driver's licence at all times.
If you wish to drive only when accompanied by a Class 1 driver or a driver with a heavy trailer endorsement, you may obtain learner's privileges by completing only the medical, vision and written requirements. If you wish learner's privileges for all class 1 units, you would be required to complete additional written exams.
306-775-6900 in Regina