As well, each certificate of safety fitness has 1 of the following safety ratings.
The certificate is required to licence the following commercial vehicles in Saskatchewan:
- Class A, C, D, or LV (if commercial or business use) with a GVW at 11,794 kg or greater if travelling in Saskatchewan only (intra-provincial).
- Class A, C, D, F, or LV (if commercial or business use) with a registered GVW of 5,000 kg or more if travelling to other jurisdictions (extra-provincial).
- Class PB, PS or PC with a seating capacity of more than 10 persons including the driver.
Note: A photocopy of your Certificate of Safety Fitness must be placed in all commercial vehicles registered to the company. The original certificate should be kept in the office.
Application of safety certificate
Operating only within Saskatchewan
If operating commercially only within Saskatchewan (intra-provincial) or travelling outside Saskatchewan on a permit, first-time registrants in the above classes can obtain a certificate of safety fitness from a motor licence issuer for $125.
If the certificate is lost, any issuer can do a re-print for a cost of $15. Place a photocopy of the original certificate in all your vehicles and keep the original in a safe place.
Operating outside Saskatchewan
All commercial operators prorating for travel outside Saskatchewan are required to fill out an application before a certificate is issued or vehicles are registered. If prorating for travel outside Saskatchewan, first-time registrants in Class A can obtain a certificate of safety fitness from Branch and IRP Issuing services.
To obtain a certificate of safety fitness the operator must:
- Have a principal place of business in Saskatchewan.
- Register a commercial vehicle as described above.
- Provide proof of the required liability and cargo insurance.
- Provide all background information relating to the applicant's previous commercial operations.
The NSC number contained on the certificate of safety fitness must be provided to the motor licence issuer or Branch and IRP Issuing Services any time a new or additional commercial vehicle is registered by the certificate holder.