SGI offers tips for customers dealing with flooding
July 11, 2016
With heavy rainfall leading to flash flooding in some areas of the province including Estevan, and more rain in the forecast, SGI is reminding customers what to do in the event of water damage to their home or vehicle.
“We’re here to help customers through this difficult situation,” said Don Thompson, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, SGI CANADA. “First and foremost, take care of yourself and your family and make sure everyone is safe. When you’re able to do so, call SGI to report your claim.”
To report a property or auto claim, call your local SGI claims centre. In Estevan, call toll free 1-800-667-9773 Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. or 1-800-647-6448 after hours. You can also report an auto or property claim online using MySGI.
With expected higher-than-normal claim volumes, SGI will be assigning additional adjusters to Estevan, or other areas as required, to help process claims as quickly as possible.
If it’s safe to do so, SGI CANADA suggests that homeowners dealing with property damage:
- Clean up as soon as possible. Seek professional advice on how to clean up and take whatever reasonable steps you can to minimize further damage to your property.
- Don’t throw anything out. Store damaged items in a reasonably safe place so the adjuster can see them when they arrive. If you are disposing of items, take photos and keep a detailed list of what is being thrown away.
- Have any appliances (including furnaces) that have come in contact with water checked by a qualified electrician, plumber, dealer or serviceperson before you use them.
- Do not touch any electrical systems or panels until you know it is safe to do so, especially in wet or damp conditions.
- Move damaged belongings to a dry area with good ventilation.
- Keep track of your cleaning time and expenses as they may be covered through the insurance claim.
- Take photographs or video of damaged property to give to your adjuster.
SGI’s Estevan facility has also been impacted by flooding, with cleaning crews in place to deal with impacts. In the meantime, customers in Estevan should note:
- Licence issuing and vehicle registration needs – SGI is unable to complete these types of transactions at its Estevan facility. Customers can visit one of the other motor licence issuers in Estevan or complete some transactions online using SGI’s MySGI service.
- Claim appointments – If you had a previously-scheduled appointment, please call ahead to confirm as your appointment may need to be rescheduled.
- Driver exam appointments – Written driver exams are cancelled. Driver road tests will continue – driver examiners will meet customers outside the building.
Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) is the province's self-sustaining auto insurance fund. SGI operates 21 claims centres and five salvage centres across Saskatchewan with a head office in Regina. SGI also works with a network of nearly 400 motor licence issuers across the province. Customers can now do some transactions online. Look for the MySGI link under Online Services on your motor licence issuer's website or SGI's website.