Police once again target seatbelt and cellphone use
March 11, 2013
Cellphone and seatbelt violations are the focus of this month's traffic safety blitz, which runs March 14 and 15 province-wide.
This will mark the sixth time Operation Hang Up Buckle Up has taken place across the province. Non-seatbelt use and distracted driving, which includes cellphone use, are two of the main contributing factors to traffic fatalities, making them a key area of focus.
“Distracted driving is the leading cause of collisions in the province and the second leading cause of fatal collisions,” said Andrew Cartmell, President and CEO of SGI. “Focus on the task at hand when you’re driving and remember to use a seatbelt, not a cellphone. That decision could save your life.”
Last year in Saskatchewan, preliminary numbers show distracted driving contributed to 60 deaths and more than 2,100 injuries. Improper or non-seatbelt use contributed to 47 deaths and 255 injuries.
“The use of cellphones and texting continues to be a problem in Saskatchewan,” said Chief Clive Weighill, Vice President of the Saskatchewan Association of Chiefs of Police. “I ask the public to get behind this initiative aimed at safety.”
As always, law enforcement will be on the lookout for other traffic safety violations during the blitz, such as impaired driving, speeding and disobeying traffic lights.
In February, a total of 422 tickets were issued to motorists as part of the province-wide Operation Crossroads traffic safety blitz.
Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) is the province's self-sustaining auto insurance fund. SGI operates 21 claims centres and five salvage centres across Saskatchewan with a head office in Regina. SGI also works with a network of over 400 motor licence issuers across the province. Customers can now do some transactions online. Look for the MySGI link under Online Services on your motor licence issuer's website or SGI's website.