A Class 4 driver's licence permits you to operate:
- taxis - must have either a Certificate of Approval, Certificate of Good Moral Character or Criminal Record Check
- buses having a seating capacity of 16 to 24 passengers
To apply for a Class 4 driver's licence you must:
- submit a satisfactory medical
- have a Class 5 driver's licence
- be a minimum age of 18 and not a novice driver
To obtain a Class 4 driver's licence you must take the oral or written knowledge tests for Class 4 vehicles and a road test in a Class 4 or 5 vehicle. A pre-trip inspection - known as a circle check - needs to be demonstrated at the time of the road test.
After obtaining your Class 4 driver's licence, you can also operate vehicles in the following licence classes:
Class 5 - Cars, vans and 2-axle trucks
As a learner with the appropriate endorsements:
Class 1 - Power units and semi trailers, trucks towing trailers over 4,600 kg
Class 2 - Buses with a seating capacity exceeding 24 passengers
Class 3 - Trucks with more than 2 axles
For additional information consult the Professional Driver's Handbook.
You can find a driver exam office near you to book an appointment or if you have any questions, contact our exam booking office at 1-800-667-5111.