A Class 1 driver's licence permits you to operate:
- power unit and semi-trailer combinations
- trucks that have a trailer or vehicle in tow where the gross weight of the towed unit exceeds 4,600 kg (except 2-axle trucks with farm plates)
To apply for a Class 1 driver's licence you must:
- submit a satisfactory medical
- have a Class 5, 4, 3 or 2 driver's licence
- be a minimum age of 18 and not a novice driver
To obtain a Class 1 driver's licence you must take the oral or written knowledge tests for Class 1 vehicles and a road test in a Class 1 vehicle. A pre-trip inspection - known as a circle check - needs to be demonstrated at the time of the road test.
After obtaining your Class 1 driver's licence, you can also operate vehicles in the following licence classes:
Class 2 - Buses with a seating capacity exceeding 24 passengers
Class 3 - Trucks with more than 2 axles
Class 4 - Taxis, ambulances and buses with a seating capacity of 16 to 24 passengers
Class 5 - Cars, vans and 2-axle trucks
For additional information consult the Professional Driver's Handbook.
You can find a driver exam office near you to book an appointment or if you have any questions, contact our exam booking office at 1-800-667-5111.