The following are suggestions that will hopefully help carriers develop and implement a successful discipline policy.
- verbal warning
- written warning
- suspension with pay (1 day, etc.)
- suspension without pay (2 day, etc.)
- loss of bonus
- driver improvement course (driving skills)
- hours of service course
Other training such as trip inspections, load security, etc:
- governing the vehicle - (e.g.: If a driver gets a speeding ticket, the carrier may issue a verbal or written warning. If the driver receives another speeding ticket, the carrier governs the truck.)
Offences resulting in immediate dismissal
- operating a commercial vehicle under the influence of alcohol or prohibited drugs
- leaving the scene of an accident
- reckless operation of a commercial vehicle
- negligent homicide
- open liquor violations
- theft or disobedience
- found to have unauthorized passenger in vehicle
- refusal to take drug/alcohol test
- failure to pass a medical exam
- impaired driving
Other alcohol issues
- No alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs are allowed in the carrier's vehicle.
- No alcohol is to be consumed 24 hours prior to a trip, while on a trip or 8 hours after an accident.
For further details, visit the Driver's licence suspensions page.
Sample discipline plan
The Sample Discipline Plan (pdf, 12 kb) outlines consequences of violations.